Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Reading Diary Week 5: Persian Tales

Persian Tales: The City of Nothing-in-the-World and Susku and Mushu

Part A:

The City of Nothing-in-the-World:
This story took a very unsuspecting turn.  I was confused about the seven camels, fully geared, coming out of the bowl and then the story suddenly ends.

Susku and Mushu:
WHAT? I love how all of these stories end.  I was not expecting a farmer to impale himself or his wife to cut off her thumbs and call them griddle cakes.

Part B:
Fayiz and the Peri Wife
This sort of reminded me of Cupid and Psyche because Fayiz is not supposed to tell anyone that his other wife is a Peri (fairy) or else she'll disappear and so will his sons.  I also like that it said Fayiz was an honest  and "true-hearted" MARRIED man but then meets the Peri and they fall in love instantly.

The Story of the Wolf-Bride
I guess that'll teach people not to marry their cousins.

Tortoise Bowl-On-The-Back and the Fox
Kind of like the Tortoise and the Hare, except this tortoise cheated.  I really like how all of these stories end so abruptly and bluntly.

No comments:

Post a Comment