These are some of my favorite stories from the Chinese Fairy Tales unit.
Part A:
The Favorite of Fortune and the Child of Ill Luck
I can already tell this unit is going to be interesting. The endings are kind of like the ones from the Persian Fairy Tales - unexpected and definitely not happy. I was happy that her beggar husband returned to her and praised her for her faithfulness. You think her luck has finally changed and then 18 days later, she dies and lives for a long time. It's very ironic to say the least.
The Cave of the Beasts
This one started out a bit crazy. I was really surprised that the father just convinced his two younger daughters to go with him and just abandon them in the mountain. It seems a bit harsh for eating wild duck eggs that he wasn't even going to share. I was actually kind of surprised this story had a happy ending.
Why Dog and Cat are Enemies
I remember reading someone's storytelling post about why dogs and cats don't get along. I thought it was going to be practically the same but this one is different. In both, the cat tries to get the dog in trouble, but in the other the dog never retorts which I kind of like.
The Lady of the Moon
I really liked this story. It was nice and peaceful. One thing I am curious about is what happened to her husband Hou I?
Part B:
Fox-Fire
I really liked this story. The young man swallows the elixir of life and has it for 30 years. He can do all these magical things but when he turns 50 he decides not to use his skills anymore. It's the story of retirement but in a unique way.
The Talking Silver Foxes
I liked that this one was sort of like a creation story. Now I know why foxes are so stealthy.
The Flying Ogre
I don't know what I was expecting for this story, but this definitely wasn't it. Even though it's weird and leaves unanswered questions, I kind of like the sudden endings. It makes you appreciate the actual story and not have too much detail that you can't remember the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment