Monday, September 29, 2014

Famous Last Words: Week 6

It is definitely getting to the point in the semester where my stress level is off the charts.  It doesn't help that I am a psycho and thought taking 19 hours would be ok.  I've done it before and was miserable, so I don't know why it would be better the second time around.  It's really only one class that is stressing me out.  It's my practicum that I have to take for my Broadcast and Electronic Media degree (I'm getting a dual degree with BEM and Film and Media Studies).  It's called Routes TV.  It's basically a short news documentary-esque assignment and it's the only assignment we have.  It is definitely more geared towards Broadcast Journalism majors which is a lot different than BEM - BEM is behind the scenes and technical stuff and Journalism is on the TV - a lot of people get that confused.  But anyways,  I hate interviewing people.  I'm awkward and weird, and I never know what kind of questions to ask.  Plus, I hate the sound of my voice and would prefer it not to be recorded haha.  I know once I just get over it and do it I'll be so relieved and can focus on my other classes, it's just hard to motivate myself when I'm so nervous haha.

I also just signed up for the GRE and am taking it in about three weeks, and haven't really started studying for it.  Oh yeah, I decided I want to go to grad school.  As if five and a half years in undergrad isn't enough, I guess three more years ought to do the trick.  There's just so much paperwork to do for the application to the school I want to go to.  I have to write  a paper, fix my resume and redesign it, get recommendation letters, make a creative portfolio of all the experience I don't have, and some other stuff I can't remember.

But if I can survive October, I think I can survive almost anything, or at least the rest of the semester.


Currently:
                                      Image information: betsyeseusbaloes.wordpress.com

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. My stress levels just sky rocketed reading this. You have quite a load on your plate! That paperwork sounds miserable, but having a Master's Degree sounds fantabulous, so I'm sure it'll be worth it in the long run! I really hope you survive October. I hope we all survive October. May the odds ever be in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, if it makes you feel any better at all, I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU. I too am stressed about all the papers I have due, not to mention I just finished taking three exams within three days!! Plus, I too am applying to grad school. All the hoops we have to jump through just to get the GRE scheduled is CRAZY, not to mention all the stinking paperwork and leg work that has to be done for the application process. I hope you actually get to read this post because I have a little tidbit of information for you that just might help you in your preparation for the GRE. I found a website supported by Kaplan. They have seminars where you receive actual questions from the GRE and the instructors help show you how to handle and solve those problems. It's completely free and I've found it very informative. Also, Kaplan has practice GREs all the time that you can do online for free as well. The website for all this stuff is kaptest.com. Good luck!!! You'll do it!!! And you'll kick it's butt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I could hug you. You are my hero! Thank you for sending me that link and for wishing me luck! I need all the help I can get! Good luck to you too! You're going to do awesome as well!

      Delete
  3. Hey Elizabeth! I am totally with you on this whole stress thing! I took 18 hours last semester and it was not bad at all, but this semester I am taking 15 hours but it feels like 20 because I have to read about 72 pages per day for three of those classes just to somewhat keep up, yet I still feel behind on everything. For some reason it always feels like it is just one horrible class that causes the majority of the stress, and if it were gone that stress level would decrease tremendously. Push through because you can do it! Like you said, you've done it once already, so I know you can do it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Elizabeth! I am totally with you on this whole stress thing! I took 18 hours last semester and it was not bad at all, but this semester I am taking 15 hours but it feels like 20 because I have to read about 72 pages per day for three of those classes just to somewhat keep up, yet I still feel behind on everything. For some reason it always feels like it is just one horrible class that causes the majority of the stress, and if it were gone that stress level would decrease tremendously. Push through because you can do it! Like you said, you've done it once already, so I know you can do it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. “. . . make a creative portfolio of all the experience I don't have.”
    That just means you’ll have to be extra creative when you write it, right? Although you’ve got A lot to do right now, it’s good that you’re keeping a positive attitude about things. You’re halfway through a very difficult semester for you, and although three more years of school may not seem fun, I’m sure the hardships you’re going through now will help strengthen you and make you more able to tackle whatever challenges grad school will try to throw at you. Good luck blitzing all that paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know what you mean about stress... Im taking 18 hours this semester and it just sucks. I am not sure about you but luckily 3 of my classes are online, so I do not have to actually be on campus as much. I don't know which is better, to be in class or not. I think your major is pretty interesting and I have never real heard of it before. I hope everything goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete