This week I read Aesop's fables that were illustrated by Milo Winter. Aesop's fables are what I was really expecting to read and learn the most about when I was signing up for this class. I also like the structure of it. Rather than one long story, it's several short stories, and that helps me a lot. I think that helps me with the storytelling assignments because there are several options for stories to tell and ways to tell them.
One of my favorite stories was The Spendthrift and the Swallow. It's about a guy who sees a swallow on a nice day in early spring thinks that winter is finally over. He sells all of his winter clothes to fully embrace the nice weather. Then, a few days later, the cold weather came back and brought a severe frost along with it. That is exactly what spring is like in Oklahoma. Another reason I like this story is because of the illustration. I think we've all seen this person walking around campus on a nice sunny day in February.
Another one of my favorite stories is The Astrologer. This man claims to be able to see the future. One night he is looking up at the stars while walking and falls into a hole. Moral of the story being to take care of the little stuff and the big stuff will take care of itself. I think being in school makes you dwell on the big picture too much that you don't take as much care of the little stuff. I think we focus on what we want to do after college and not so much as the steps to take to get there. Or, some people focus so much on school that they forget to make friends, which is also important.
Overall, I really liked this unit as a whole!

No comments:
Post a Comment