Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reading Diary Week 2: Cupid and Psyche

Cupid & Psyche

First half:

I know this story is supposed to be sort of like Beauty and the Beast, but it actually kind of reminds me of Cinderella (Brothers Grimm version).  The two sisters, who are not as pretty as Psyche, are jealous of her marriage.  The sisters remind me of the evil step-sisters, but I think it's worse that they're actually related and plot to ruin her marriage and almost convince Psyche to kill her husband.

                                                           Psyche Abandoned, by Coype mythfolklore.blogspot

Second half:

This story is very similar to Cinderella and the story of Pandora (Wikipedia).  I think that not only is the bottle of beauty similar to Pandora's box, but also Psyche discovering, before she was supposed to, that her husband is Cupid.
I can definitely see the similarities of Cupid and Psyche and Beauty and the Beast, except I kind of thought of the kidnapped girl to be the Beauty and Lucius to be the Beast.  Although, I understand that Psyche is the beauty and Cupid is the Beast.  After finishing the story, the earlier parts when Cupid is telling Psyche to not tell her sister's that she doesn't know what he looks like kind of reminds me of the part in the Disney movie when the Beast is telling Belle not to go to the west wing.  I know those are not the same thing at all, but it just kind of reminded me of it.
                                                                              Psyche, by Waterhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment