Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Introduction

Hello! My name is Liz and I am a super senior this year (woo!) and I will be graduating in May.  I am double majoring in Broadcast and Electronic Media and Film and Media Studies with a minor in psychology.  I was a psychology major for three years before I decided to switch to BEM but I am two classes away from a minor so I figured I might as well finish it.
The first half of summer was a bit of a drag for me.  I was talking twelve hours, nine of which were online.  They were all interesting except for one so that made it tolerable, but I was definitely glad to be done.  After I finished my classes I went to two small music festivals.  One was in Chicago and the other in Omaha.  The one in Omaha was this past weekend so I am still recovering from frying in the sun!
Other than going to concerts and music festivals, I would say my hobbies include Netflix and playing with my sister's weird dog.  Netflix has been the best and worst thing that's happened to me.  Most nights I would honestly rather stay in watching whatever I can find on there than go out.  I feel that binge watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a much better use of my time and it is much cheaper than going out.  When I'm not watching Netflix, I usually hang out with my friends or my sister/her dog.  My sister and her husband have a Brussels griffon, Grendel, and a pit bull, Wade.  They are both really friendly and exceptionally lazy.  
                                                     Wade in his natural habitat. Personal Photo.


                                                       Grendel happy as can be.  Personal Photo.

I wish I would have read more this summer instead of watching so much Netflix, but I haven't really found any new ones that have sparked my interest.  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Some of my favorite books are Harry Potter, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Liz! I really enjoyed getting to know a little about you in your intro. Right off the bat, I noticed that you have a really interesting major. I'd love to learn more about what you want to do with those degrees--I'm a big fan of movies myself and I'm always curious to hear the favorites of a film buff.
    I also loved the photos of your sister's dogs! They are so cute and they look like they bring a lot of joy wherever they go. :)
    I really enjoyed reading this post and learning a bit about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post with the cute pictures of your sister’s dogs! I also unfortunately love Netflix maybe a little too much! It can be so addicting and once you “find a new show” it is so easy to just keep watching episode after episode and to lose track of a whole afternoon! I understand your amount of summer schoolwork because I also took 9 hours, all of which were online so it was a busy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Liz, your Wade is a cutie! I don't think I have seen a brindle pit bull before - he's so handsome! And I have never heard of a Brussels griffon before, so of course I had to look that up (very cool!) - Grendel sounds so scary, but he looks like a sweetie! And I think everybody can relate to what you say about Netflix! Every once in a while I think about making a list of cool myth-folklore type films on Netflix streaming that people could watch... but then I realize, oh no, we are probably all watching too much on Netflix already, ha ha. For me, it's all about Star Trek and Doctor Who. I get myself into plenty of trouble just with those!

    Books: if you are a fan of Harry Potter, have you read the Golden Compass by Philip Pullman? Or the Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin? I would guess a Harry Potter fan might like both of those books! :-)
    Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
    Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, you are so lucky you are almost at the finishing line of college. Well done and congratulations to. You are juggling quite the interesting subjects. Netflix…The story of most our lives. My Netflix account in used by almost all my family members. My wife’s sisters in London. I think all this family seems to do is watch Netflix. Although I have significantly cut down my TV times as the semester is already picking up. Lol @ the dog in the second picture is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Liz! I really enjoyed your intro post! My roommate is actually a film and media studies major too! She will come home so excited after her editing class telling me all about it. Girl, Netflix is one of my weaknesses too. I love binge watching Supernatural, Sherlock, or any Disney movies I see on there.

    Books for you: We both have a really similar love with books! Some of my favorites that I think you would like are: the Divergent series, anything written by John Green, The Mortal Instruments series, and both of the Percy Jackson series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your majors sound so interesting! What made you decide not to become a psychology major? And dang! That’s so many hours for the summer. I can understand why you’d want to relax and watch Netflix. I know from experience that it’s so addictive (I took a pretty long break from Netflix after watching seven straight seasons of Psych). Anyways, hope you have an awesome last year here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, that is so cool that you have been to several music festivals. I have never been to one, but I feel that I should experience one at some point in my life! They look like such a fun atmosphere.

    I also enjoy watching Netflix like you, but luckily for me, I have a hard time finding shows that I get interested in. Therefore, I do not get too stuck on shows and spend hours and hours watching them. But on occasion, I spend a whole day in bed watching Netflix.

    Also, your sister's dogs are also adorable! Dogs can be so cute and do the funniest things. Grendel looks like he is probably quite a character just by looking at the face he is making in that picture.

    Well, I hope you enjoy this class and congrats on almost being done with college!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl I watched way too much Netflix this summer too. I started The Office from the beginning and I made it to season 6. Sad I know. But I just love that show! I am also a super senior. Yay for us! I love the pictures of your sisters dogs. They look like fun dogs. Hope you're enjoying your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Liz, nice to meet you! Your combination of majors sounds like so much fun! I considered a minor in film and media studies. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a committed relationship with Netflix. I really don't know what people did during the summertime without it. If you liked Harry Potter, I really recommend J. K. Rowling's new books The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm (under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith.) They are definitely for the grown up Harry Potter generation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to meet you Liz! I can definitely relate to the summer workload of classes. I also took about 15 hours of classes spread throughout the whole summer. Most of them were in class and I had one online, but it was miserable!! However, attending music festivals sounds like a lot of fun! That's definitely something that is one my bucket list! But, congratulations on graduating this spring! That's exciting! Your major sounds like it would be a lot of work, but I bet you can do some pretty neat things with technology! I loved your pictures of your sister's dogs! I have a Jack Russel back home named Rocky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz! Firstly, I cannot imagine taking 12 hours over the summer! That sounds miserable, haha but I'm glad you got through it! Your major sounds really fun though, my sister is a film and media studies major and I get so jealous of her courses because I feel like all of mine are boring compared to hers! Music festivals are awesome, I think it's really cool that you travel to see them! Have a good rest of your (super) senior year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Liz, I know exactly what you mean about Netflix being the best and worst thing that has ever happened to you. I've spent more than my fair share of time binge watching The Office haha. Anyways, since you like music festivals, did you go to ACL? I've never been to a music festival, but I've always wanted to. Congrats on graduating and good luck with wherever life takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liz, my fellow super senior! I bet double majoring keeps you really busy in your classes, and even with a minor! It sounds like you had a super fun summer time. Netflix is my downfall as well, especially when I find new series to binge watch. What cute dogs! I’m a big reader too but I’ve been on the lookout for new books myself, so I don’t have any suggestions… I’m big into fantasy genre. Well it is nice to meet you and I hope your semester is going good! Here is to graduating in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Liz, I feel for your Netflix problem. I probably watch something on Netflix at least once a day, maybe even more. And I too binge watch tv shows on there. Netflix was probably the best investment I have ever made. Looks like you and I will be graduating together in May! I am very impressed by all of your majors and minors! You seem to be a very driven person. Good luck on the rest of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Liz! I am also a super senior YAY! I am so glad we are almost done. It's time!!! So I also went to a music festival this summer in OKC called OKC fest where there was a whole bunch of country artists! It was so much fun I can't wait to go back next summer. I also get addicted to Netflix sometimes. The last show I got sucked into was Breaking Bad and that was in the spring semester so this semester I decided to not even go there because I know I will get addicted and I have some tough classes this semester to really focus on!! Good luck with the rest of the year and good luck after graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liz, your hobbies sound perfect to me. Did the music festival you went to in Chicago happen to be Lollapalooza? My hometown is only a couple hours from Chicago and I attended Lollapalooza a couple summers ago! It was insane but so much fun. Also, who doesn’t love dogs and Netflix? Congratulations on your upcoming graduation as well, I’m sure you’re ready for it at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Liz!

    Wow you're so close to being done! Congrats on your victory lap! Haha! I would agree with you that staying in and watching Netflix is much more enjoyable than going out and paying for things. I'm glad we're on the same page! Your sister's dogs are adorable and you are lucky to get to play with them! My dogs are kind of annoying...but I love me so I guess I'll keep em. One book suggestion is A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. It's so good. You'd love it.

    ReplyDelete