I was pretty surprised by the ending of The Twelve Dancing Princesses . The king doesn't understand how his daughters' shoes have holes in them every morning when they are locked in their room at night. He has princes try to find out and if they fail after three nights, they are beheaded. He even beheaded his own son! He promises that whoever finds out will be king when he dies. The old soldier finds out and then he picks what daughter he wants to marry and then he becomes king. It was just so random to me. Especially since so many princes were beheaded and the only punishment his daughters get is that one of them has to marry the soldier. It's not much of a punishment compared to getting beheaded. I was a little sad for the underground princes though. I wonder what the soldier did to the trap door and if the other sisters were able to see their princes.
Image source: wikipedia
Illustration by R. Anning Bell
.png)
I'm honestly surprised that the Grimm stories you are reading have happy endings. I always thought that the Grimm fairy tales had some of the worst endings, but I haven't read them in a long time, so maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about (the more likely). Anyway, it sounds like a fun little unit, and I really wish I had chosen it. Have a good last few weeks!
ReplyDelete